Friday 27 July 2012

This funny man is the last Emir of Bukhara and direct decedent of Genghis Khan



HH Priya Nathji was greatly amused by this photo. He posted this comment on facebook -
FUNNIEST PICTURE ON FACEBOOK
There was a time when I used to think that I was the funniest person on Facebook until I found this picture on the profile of my friend, Bill MacKechnie, beneath which he had written: " It appears that I may have put some weight on." I dont think this is Bill, but whoever he is, he is incredibly funny, and a nice sight to begin the day with a laugh.
When I saw this photo,  I remembered seeing it as part of my private studies on the History of Central Asia and Russian colonization. This is Emir of Bukhara  Said Mir Mohammed Alim Khan  (January 3, 1880–April 28, 1944) who the last emir of the Manghit dynasty, the last ruling dynasty of the Emirate of Bukhara in Central Asia. He ruled from January 3, 1911 - August 30, 1920 (9 years, 240 days) This particular photograph is taken by the Great Russian photographer Prokudin Gorskii in 1911. 
Alim Khan fought against the Russians to hold the last independent province in Central Asia. Amir Ali has the distinction of being the last direct descendant Genghis Khan to serve as a national ruler. His large kingdom  now form the republic of  Uzbekistan with some parts also in Tajikistan and Turkmenistan.
On 2 September 1920, Red Army troops under the command of Bolshevik general Mikhail Frunze attacked the Bukhara.  After four days of fighting, the emir’s citadel (Arc) was destroyed, the red flag was raised from the top of Kalyan Minaret, and the Emir Alim Khan was forced to flee to Kabul, Afghanistan, where he died in 1944. He is buried at the Shuadoi Solehin cemetery.

No comments:

Post a Comment