Saturday 15 September 2012

Hoshangabad



It was when Gangabai Bhutt was in Hoshangabad, that she had a vision that was to change her life. She had met some yogi who had asked her to meditate with her eyes open early in the morning, while looking up at the skies. Gangabai Bhutt had an intense desire in her heart to see God high up in the heavens. That special day she looked at the skies with her eyes open, in the early hours of the morning at 3 a.m.
Suddenly the skies appeared to part and she saw a face peering down at her from the heavens! Instinctively, something told her, it was the Lord Vishnu himself.  She screamed out loud: "My God! My God! How can I reach thee? How can I touch thy feet?" The next instant she felt herself go up in her astral body. She found herself in a beautifully decorated hall. On a throne sat the Lord Himself in all His Glory. She fell at his feet and wept with emotion like she had never wept before.
"You have had a glimpse of me. Now return to your earthly home," said Lord Vishnu.
"Never,” said Mrs. Bhutt, "how can I leave God and return to the perishable world?"
"You will find me down there on the earth," said Lord Vishnu, "I have taken on a human form there. I have gone down to earth as an avatar. This is my form on earth."
Saying this, Lord Vishnu cast a drop of perspiration from his forehead to the floor. And a beautiful image came into existence. It was a handsome being, dressed royally in chooridars, achkan and a turban. There was divine radiance on the face. And the Face was that of Lord Vishnu Himself.
I exist on earth in this form. To look upon this figure is to look upon me, to bow before it is to bow before me, to serve it is to serve me, to worship it is to worship me. When it has completed its task on earth, this form shall return to me!"
And saying this, Lord Vishnu vanished. Gangabai Bhutt found herself back on earth.


Hoshangabad is a city and a municipality in the Indian state of Madhya Pradesh. The city was earlier called Narmadapur after the Narmada River. Later the name was changed to Hoshangabad. The city is famous for the beautiful Sethani ghat along the banks of the Narmada river. Sethani Ghat is an important landmark of the city, on the banks of River Narmada. It is about 7 km downstream from the confluence of Tawa and Narmada rivers. There are colourful celebrations in the city on Narmada Jayanti. 
Hoshangabad is well connected by road and rail from the state capital, Bhopal and it is about 70 km away from it. It is connected by rail with all major cities of the state.

No comments:

Post a Comment